Automotive Message Board
cars connected social network cars connected app for android devices cars connected app for iOS devices

Go Back   Automotive Message Board > General Motors Corporation > General Motors Corporation > Chevrolet > Chevy Uplander
FORUMS Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chevy Uplander Forum for discussions in regards to the Chevrolet Uplander

Car Forum: I accidentally filled up my 2005 chevy Uplander with e85 fuel and now it

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM

I accidentally filled up my 2005 chevy Uplander with e85 fuel and now it

wont start. What should I do? Yes, I know I am a fool for not double checking first but... Shortly after I got the car a few years ago I happened to be talking to a mechanic at a store and asked about the different fuels. I was told that my vehicle would be able to handle any type of fuel even the e85 stuff if I really had to. I was a bit suprised but thought it would be ok because I figured it was because it was made after 2000 so I guess the engine could handle it if something happened. Well yesterday I was at a gas station that sold e85 that I noticed for the first time. I saw that this fuel was much cheaper so I remembered what teh mechanic told me and filled it up. The check engine light came on shortly after driving but I was already out and about and getting ready to head home so I had to keep driving it. Well now this morning it wont start, It runs over and then dies! I am terrified that I may have killed it. Can I just drain the tank and add in additional regular fuel and then get it to a mechanic to check the hoses and fuel filter? What can I do to save my van? I cannot afford another vehicle right now.

Check out these heads up display (HUD) units available for all vehicles!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 PM

try changing your fuel filter
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 AM

Like others have said just drain and flush fuel lines. It will cause damage to components that are not materially compatable with high alcohol-content fuels. But trying to use E85 in a non-FF vehicle will probably not even work. The pump and injectors are higher capacity to handle the increased fuel volume needed when running alcohol fuels. Methanol stoich is about 6.5. Ethanol is 9:1. Gasoline is 14.7. E85 (85-percent ethanol/15-percent gasoline) runs around 9.7 which means that E85 has a mass flow volume increase of 150 percent over gasoline fuels. Fuel trims will not be able to sufficiently increase the pulse width of a gasoline-only injector to account for this volume increase. The resultant A/F ratio would be so lean with a non-compatable system that the engine would run poorly, it at all.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:36 AM

You should drain all the E85 from the tank and the filters and fuel line. Replace it with E10 or better. Get yourself a new mechanic. There are reasons some vehicles are marked as flex fuel and some are not.