• In case you hadn't noticed, this community is SPAM FREE. Wonder why? Because it's actively maintained. If you're planning on posting anything non-automobile related, don't waste your time. We have 24 hour coverage.

Introduction: 96noOptions

96noOptions

First post, I guess. I had a 720 pickup some years ago and remember posting a few times on some forum I thought was this one but maybe not - or it's been so long the account is deleted. Either way, nice to be here.

I've got a '96 D21 Hardbody that I think has zero optional equipment. 4cyl/5spd/RWD, no power steering, rubber floor, vinyl seats, not even a light switch on the passenger door. I love it. I get 25+ MPG and drive it every day. At 179k miles it uses effectively no oil and runs like a champ.

I haven't had it long - less than a year - and have recently been hauling some loads that have me looking to upgrade the tires from the Hankook Optima's it came with to some kind of 6-ply or even 8-ply LT tire. I'm probably not going to pony up $1K+ for Goodyear Wranglers and would consider going to a 15" wheel but want to stick with the stock size. Factory is 195/75R14, could go 205/65R15 or 195/70R15 but finding an appropriate wheel is challenging. Might have to abandon the online tire shopping and go to the local mom & pop tire shop. They probably have an answer already.

Ordered some Gabriel Load Carrier coil-over shocks for the rear and some other RockAuto closeout Gabriel's for the front. I'll post before/after pics and a review once they're installed.

Anyways, I'll add my rig to the registry soon and always search before I post.

Update: pic from the day I bought it in June 2019.

Last edited:

Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
First post, I guess. I had a 720 pickup some years ago and remember posting a few times on some forum I thought was this one but maybe not - or it's been so long the account is deleted. Either way, nice to be here.

I've got a '96 D21 Hardbody that I think has zero optional equipment. 4cyl/5spd/RWD, no power steering, rubber floor, vinyl seats, not even a light switch on the passenger door. I love it. I get 25+ MPG and drive it every day. At 179k miles it uses effectively no oil and runs like a champ.

I haven't had it long - less than a year - and have recently been hauling some loads that have me looking to upgrade the tires from the Hankook Optima's it came with to some kind of 6-ply or even 8-ply LT tire. I'm probably not going to pony up $1K+ for Goodyear Wranglers and would consider going to a 15" wheel but want to stick with the stock size. Factory is 195/75R14, could go 205/65R15 or 195/70R15 but finding an appropriate wheel is challenging. Might have to abandon the online tire shopping and go to the local mom & pop tire shop. They probably have an answer already.

Ordered some Gabriel Load Carrier coil-over shocks for the rear and some other RockAuto closeout Gabriel's for the front. I'll post before/after pics and a review once they're installed.

Anyways, I'll add my rig to the registry soon and always search before I post.

Update: pic from the day I bought it in June 2019.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'm glad you found us! We're in a transitional state - so things might look wacky for a while...

Latest posts